The social media service parlor disappeared just before midnight on Sunday, when Amazon.com Inc. threatened to stop hosting a public messaging platform, sparking popularity among President Trump supporters.
The effective disappearance of the parlor reflects the growing scope and efforts of major technology companies to limit the content of these threats in the wake of last week’s mob attack on US capital. In a letter to the parlor over the weekend, Amazon said it had seen a steady increase in violent content on the site and said the parlor’s efforts to remove it were insufficient.
Apple Inc. and Alphabet Inc.’s Google removed the Parlor app from their App Stores for mobile devices, making it difficult for new users to download without shutting down the service. Amazon’s move has had a far-reaching effect as it provides backers and servers that host the parlor’s website and database, as it does a large number of other prominent companies.
John Mattis, the parlor’s chief executive, did not respond to emails sent to his parlor.com e-mail address, or messages sent through his LinkedIn profile. But he said in a post on the parlor on Saturday that it was possible the service would not be available for a week as new hosting services were added.
“It was a coordinated attack by tech giants to kill market competition,” Mr Metz wrote.