Rural governors are talking about canceling the local Olympic torch relay

A governor in a western Japanese province is talking about canceling torch relay events in his area ahead of the Tokyo Olympics.

On Wednesday, Shimane Provincial Government Tatsuya Maruyama said he was unhappy with the measures taken to prevent Covid 19 around the rally. Its prefecture has been hit hard by the epidemic, but it fears it could change.

“Tokyo has been a source of infection across the country,” Maruyama said in a briefing on Wednesday.

“Everyday life can be endangered,” he added.

Maruyama said he was also opposed to the Olympics moving forward, and he was not satisfied with the central government’s measures to stop the spread of the virus – and the Tokyo Metro government’s measures.

The relay is to pass through the small province in May.

The torch relay is set to begin on March 25 in northeastern Japan and will surround the country with 10,000 runners. The relay will conclude on July 23 with the opening ceremony of the Olympics in Tokyo.

Relays are generally the subject of skepticism about hosting the Olympics in Japan. According to opinion polls, 80% of Japanese think that sports will be canceled or postponed.

Local organizers and the International Olympic Committee launched the first edition of the so-called sports playbook earlier this month.

The book of principles describes in limited detail how 11,000 Olympic athletes and 4,400 Paralympic athletes will enter, compete and then leave the country.

Playbooks also spell out how tens of thousands of staff, broadcasters and media will enter Japan.

Tokyo and other provinces have been under an emergency order since January 7 due to the Kovid 19 outbreak. After several weeks of escalation, new cases have been falling in the capital recently. And after a late start, Japan began its vaccine campaign this week.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *